A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
"And Fetch" is not a command. Simply "Fetch" is the command. And "Fetch" is given as a command one time, DO NOT REPEAT your command.
This is not a setback, this is NORMAL avoidance behavior. The retrieve now is no longer fun or exciting. It is repetitive and monotonous. The dog will not be liking this training for many, many weeks Nancy, so expect Sofie to be lack luster about this entire training right now. And we are not asking her, we are telling her exactly what to do as this is no longer a puppy play retrieve. This is the Practical, Working Retrieve, the on-command retrieve, this is a requirement. So very different than a Play Retrieve, this is business.
And if I have to have a dog's Point of Contention (a refusal to work) I much prefer it happen in the early stages of the retrieve training process rather than later.
BTW, Boaz's Point of Contention was here, at Lesson 2. He clamped his jaws shut and refused to open for get this 45 very long minutes. PIC = Persistent, Insistent and Consistent + a CCC = Calm, Cool, Collected mindset are what you need.
This is normal avoidance behavior in Sofie. Nothing more.
So glad to hear! I felt that I was doing something wrong and that Sofie was mad at me. I have caught myself a few times repeating "Fetch," so I'll try to be more careful with that. Stephanie also said tonight that if this is Sofie's Point of Contention where she refuses to work, then better to get it out of the way now early on. Hope all is well on your end. Miss out zooms!! But, enjoying the zooms with Stephanie. She's such a good teacher!!
Practicing for Lesson #2, we have had a set back and I don't understand why.
ReplyDelete"And Fetch" is not a command. Simply "Fetch" is the command. And "Fetch" is given as a command one time, DO NOT REPEAT your command.
ReplyDeleteThis is not a setback, this is NORMAL avoidance behavior. The retrieve now is no longer fun or exciting. It is repetitive and monotonous. The dog will not be liking this training for many, many weeks Nancy, so expect Sofie to be lack luster about this entire training right now. And we are not asking her, we are telling her exactly what to do as this is no longer a puppy play retrieve. This is the Practical, Working Retrieve, the on-command retrieve, this is a requirement. So very different than a Play Retrieve, this is business.
And if I have to have a dog's Point of Contention (a refusal to work) I much prefer it happen in the early stages of the retrieve training process rather than later.
BTW, Boaz's Point of Contention was here, at Lesson 2. He clamped his jaws shut and refused to open for get this 45 very long minutes. PIC = Persistent, Insistent and Consistent + a CCC = Calm, Cool, Collected mindset are what you need.
This is normal avoidance behavior in Sofie. Nothing more.
So glad to hear! I felt that I was doing something wrong and that Sofie was mad at me. I have caught myself a few times repeating "Fetch," so I'll try to be more careful with that. Stephanie also said tonight that if this is Sofie's Point of Contention where she refuses to work, then better to get it out of the way now early on. Hope all is well on your end. Miss out zooms!! But, enjoying the zooms with Stephanie. She's such a good teacher!!
ReplyDelete