I am sure you've been working your dogs against NEW distractions very HIGH distractions and in NEW locations.
================================================
You will need for your dog to believe 100% that you "Meant what you said 'Fetch = now' and said what you meant." That belief within the dog's mind is 95% of the retrieve training.
So, what new locations and distractions have you used this week to help your dog understand you, "Meant what you said 'Fetch = now' and said what you meant."?
This week is a tough EXAM and will be uploaded very early tomorrow morning.













Make this week count. Win the battle of the 1" retrieve THIS week and every new lesson is 100% easier.
ReplyDeleteWow! Nice! Great job Ruth!!
ReplyDeleteJust to double check, this week I am doing very low distractions, just the kitchen or living room. Stephanie told me week number 1, no distractions, week 2 medium distractions, week 3 high distractions. Then I will see her in person weekend of Nov. 5 and 6th when she comes up. Is this correct? And, new instructions from Roxanne: DO NOT PUT ANY INTERNAL PRESSURE IN HER EAR DURING SET UP, RATHER INSTEAD, TAKE MY RIGHT HAND AND DO CONDITIONED RELAXATION DURING SET UP, THEN ONCE SHE IS RELAXED, LET GO OF THE SET UP AND PRAISE HER IN A CALM VOICE, ONE CALM, DO THE SET UP AGAIN, PUT FINGER IN EAR BUT DO NOT GIVE INSTANT PRESSURE, WAIT AND PRESENT THE DOWEL 1 INCH FROM HER MOUTH, AND IF SHE DOESN'T IMMEDIATELY GRAB THE DOWEL WHILE MY ARM IS LOCKED, THEN APPLY THE PRESSURE INSIDE THE EAR AS THE CORRECTION. SOFIE'S EAR IS QUITE SORE FROM THE LAST TWO NIGHTS AS STATED BEFORE, WHILE I WAS TRYING TO GAIN CONTROL OF HER WITH MY LEFT HAND DURING SETUP, MY FINGER WAS IN HER EAR AND APPYING PRESSURE. IT'S OK STEPHANIE, I KNOW YOU FEEL BADLY, BUT AS ROXANNE SAID YOU ARE A GOOD TEACHER AND LEARNING MORE EACH TIME WE DO THIS. I'M OK BEING YOUR FIRST STUNDENT FOR RETRIEVE AND APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME AND SOFIE. I JUST WANT TO DOUBLE CHECK WE ARE ON TRACK NOW BECAUSE IT WAS HARD ENOUGH BEFORE AND I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE HER TO FAIL. THANKS!!
NANCY
Roxanne, do I put my thumb inside her ear at all during the first set up? As soon as I go there, she bucks her head.
ReplyDelete