A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
Hi. I took the squishy mat off of the K9 board. She feels more grounded without it, even though there is more room on the base of the K9. Tried to do the relaxation with my right hand while in set up mode and went slower, just trying to stay calm. After I turned off the video, we tried it once more and she actually yelped as if I were killing her. Very scary!! I'm trusting in you guys that I'm not hurting her. Stephanie told me she might yelp. What do you think? Any progress? Thanks!! Nancy
Pointers 1) The turning of her head away from you is avoidance behavior. 2) Your quiet voice, demeanor and clean mechanics are MUCH improved and helping to stabilize Sofie. 3) Try the collar high and snug, fold back close to the base of her right ear. You have this to high behind her right ear so you don't have the control of the ear as well. 4) " Square up". That means the front of your body should be square towards the camera. You are slightly angled towards her. Dogs learn in visual 'pictures' so your body language turning slight towards her will, in time, become a training dilemma for Sofie. She needs to work forward, following the direction your body is facing (called a directional) so "Square up". For each and every retrieve. 4) She has very good hearing. No need to command "Fetch" in a stern voice. 5) Command "Fetch" when dowel is at her lips. Timing is critical. You will see Kim and Kara's Lesson 3 EXAM post3d tomorrow. Watch carefully as I correct Kim for not requiring Kara to be in proper Tuck Sit facing forward and also correct her for when/how she presents DB. 6) Have you ordered your DB? You will find it easier than a dowel. 7) Please, please position the camara so I can see Sofie from her left side. I need that angle to help you help her succeed.
Thanks! You did ask for the left side. Not sure why I did her right side. Tomorrow will be the left side then. Shall I try again tonight? I try to square up but it's hard to have control with my left arm so I find myself overcompensating by twisting in. Stephanie took measurements for the DB but we weren't exactly sure how to measure. I would love one of those holder's Tom makes. Any chance I could get one when you come up Stephanie? If so, what it the cost? Thanks!! Sofie is in her crate. She and Kaitlin got into a tussle. Kaitlin never fights for anything given her autism, but Sofie was trying to take Kaitlin's blanket so Kaitlin told her NO and then they got into pully match. So funny!!
Hi. I took the squishy mat off of the K9 board. She feels more grounded without it, even though there is more room on the base of the K9. Tried to do the relaxation with my right hand while in set up mode and went slower, just trying to stay calm. After I turned off the video, we tried it once more and she actually yelped as if I were killing her. Very scary!! I'm trusting in you guys that I'm not hurting her. Stephanie told me she might yelp. What do you think? Any progress?
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
Nancy
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteSome dogs are noisy, some yelp, some growl, some seek to bite you and some make no noise at all.
How is the inside of her ear looking?
still a little red and sore but not as bad as it was yesterday. I don't think I broke the skin.
ReplyDeleteshall I continue practicing tonight?
ReplyDeleteReviewed and good work. Progress.
ReplyDeletePointers
1) The turning of her head away from you is avoidance behavior.
2) Your quiet voice, demeanor and clean mechanics are MUCH improved and helping to stabilize Sofie.
3) Try the collar high and snug, fold back close to the base of her right ear. You have this to high behind her right ear so you don't have the control of the ear as well.
4) " Square up". That means the front of your body should be square towards the camera. You are slightly angled towards her. Dogs learn in visual 'pictures' so your body language turning slight towards her will, in time, become a training dilemma for Sofie. She needs to work forward, following the direction your body is facing (called a directional) so "Square up". For each and every retrieve.
4) She has very good hearing. No need to command "Fetch" in a stern voice.
5) Command "Fetch" when dowel is at her lips. Timing is critical. You will see Kim and Kara's Lesson 3 EXAM post3d tomorrow. Watch carefully as I correct Kim for not requiring Kara to be in proper Tuck Sit facing forward and also correct her for when/how she presents DB.
6) Have you ordered your DB? You will find it easier than a dowel.
7) Please, please position the camara so I can see Sofie from her left side. I need that angle to help you help her succeed.
GOOD PROGRESS, Nancy!
Thanks! You did ask for the left side. Not sure why I did her right side. Tomorrow will be the left side then. Shall I try again tonight? I try to square up but it's hard to have control with my left arm so I find myself overcompensating by twisting in. Stephanie took measurements for the DB but we weren't exactly sure how to measure. I would love one of those holder's Tom makes. Any chance I could get one when you come up Stephanie? If so, what it the cost? Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteSofie is in her crate. She and Kaitlin got into a tussle. Kaitlin never fights for anything given her autism, but Sofie was trying to take Kaitlin's blanket so Kaitlin told her NO and then they got into pully match. So funny!!
pulling
ReplyDelete