A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
Nancy. Sofie has a nose that is 1000 times better than your nose. She can SMELL YOUR SCENT on the db. She knows, emphatically, that "Fetch" = her mouth of dB wherever it is in space. I have a student with a nearly blind dog that can find the db in space based on knowledge of what the setup will bring and scent.
What I see is Sofie launching ....and then slows down before her mouth is on db. That is the moment to do EC, when she fails to finish the job which is put her mouth on db. So work on her finishing the job.
BTW, once you pass Lesson 4 EXAM, the 6" retrieves, you will need another training table configuration. The Plank Board will not give Sofie enough room to confidently move forward 12". Do you have a 3rd K-9 table? Three or 4 of of those hooked together will give you a great training table to finish the retrieve work that needs to be completed on an elevated surface. By the time you get to Lesson 8/9, you will be working on the ground so training tables won't be necessary.
Hi. OK. So when she slows down then I do EC until she puts her mouth on dumbbell. Yes, I have a third K-9 board. You previously told be to buy 3 as I had told you I was interested in doing the Retrieve Class. Will that work with the long Kato board? Maybe I can also use the other Kato board that is a bit wider with the long narrow one? Of, am I just using the 3 K-9 boards? Of course, Sean said he would build me a table, but he has ZERO time. He's at a swim meet with Mike all day. Wouldn't know where to put it anyway where it wouldn't get ruined from the bad weather. Just confirming that when I present the dumbbell and say Fetch, that I'm putting it at her nose level? Sometimes it's hard for me to gauge where that is. Cold and windy here today. Bundled up to take dogs for their walk. Then brought them home and Kaitlin and I met a friend and hiked in the woods, which is one of Kaitlin's favorite things to do mine too! Stephanie, are we zooming tonight at 7:30pm? Sofie isn't ready yet for Exam 4. I will practice with her now, then clean the house, and then practice again with her. Have a great day you two!!
Me again. I'm waiting for the collars to come in the mail. Taking forever. I ordered the ones that our leash is made of so that my hand doesn't slip. I forgot the name. Have not ordered the toggle collar yet. Want to see how the other collar is. Poor thing has so many collars to wear.
Give it time..it will heal
ReplyDeleteNancy. Sofie has a nose that is 1000 times better than your nose. She can SMELL YOUR SCENT on the db. She knows, emphatically, that "Fetch" = her mouth of dB wherever it is in space. I have a student with a nearly blind dog that can find the db in space based on knowledge of what the setup will bring and scent.
ReplyDeleteWhat I see is Sofie launching ....and then slows down before her mouth is on db. That is the moment to do EC, when she fails to finish the job which is put her mouth on db. So work on her finishing the job.
BTW, once you pass Lesson 4 EXAM, the 6" retrieves, you will need another training table configuration. The Plank Board will not give Sofie enough room to confidently move forward 12". Do you have a 3rd K-9 table? Three or 4 of of those hooked together will give you a great training table to finish the retrieve work that needs to be completed on an elevated surface. By the time you get to Lesson 8/9, you will be working on the ground so training tables won't be necessary.
Hi. OK. So when she slows down then I do EC until she puts her mouth on dumbbell. Yes, I have a third K-9 board. You previously told be to buy 3 as I had told you I was interested in doing the Retrieve Class. Will that work with the long Kato board? Maybe I can also use the other Kato board that is a bit wider with the long narrow one? Of, am I just using the 3 K-9 boards? Of course, Sean said he would build me a table, but he has ZERO time. He's at a swim meet with Mike all day. Wouldn't know where to put it anyway where it wouldn't get ruined from the bad weather. Just confirming that when I present the dumbbell and say Fetch, that I'm putting it at her nose level? Sometimes it's hard for me to gauge where that is. Cold and windy here today. Bundled up to take dogs for their walk. Then brought them home and Kaitlin and I met a friend and hiked in the woods, which is one of Kaitlin's favorite things to do mine too! Stephanie, are we zooming tonight at 7:30pm? Sofie isn't ready yet for Exam 4. I will practice with her now, then clean the house, and then practice again with her. Have a great day you two!!
ReplyDeleteMe again. I'm waiting for the collars to come in the mail. Taking forever. I ordered the ones that our leash is made of so that my hand doesn't slip. I forgot the name. Have not ordered the toggle collar yet. Want to see how the other collar is. Poor thing has so many collars to wear.
ReplyDelete