A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
What I am seeing is you are taking an extraordinary amount of time getting everything perfect before you present and command "Fetch".
There are two things to do. Quit trying to be perfect and as soon as your finger is in her ear, present and command"Fetch".
The reality is once she believes you, that is 'pressure' is most surely going to occur when she fails to obey and move forward immediately, it doesn't matter where your finger is in her ear. So, the first option is to do 5 rapid fire retrieves, as I just described. Right now she is resisting you because her ear may be sore.
Second option and an important question? Have you taken her to your vet to have that ear checked? She may have an infection that is causing the black goo which won't go away with mere cleaning.
Personally, I'd get your vet to check her before doing any more retrieves. What you are describing sounds like an infected ear that may need some time and meds to heal.
Hi. I have an appointment Friday morning at 10:30am. Taking the day off from work to take both her and Chester for ears and nails. I was wondering the same thing which is why I made the appointment. It's 45 minutes away and they do not have evening hours, so I end up taking a day off, because it's just me...no help from the peanut gallery.
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteWhat I am seeing is you are taking an extraordinary amount of time getting everything perfect before you present and command "Fetch".
There are two things to do. Quit trying to be perfect and as soon as your finger is in her ear, present and command"Fetch".
The reality is once she believes you, that is 'pressure' is most surely going to occur when she fails to obey and move forward immediately, it doesn't matter where your finger is in her ear. So, the first option is to do 5 rapid fire retrieves, as I just described. Right now she is resisting you because her ear may be sore.
Second option and an important question? Have you taken her to your vet to have that ear checked? She may have an infection that is causing the black goo which won't go away with mere cleaning.
Personally, I'd get your vet to check her before doing any more retrieves. What you are describing sounds like an infected ear that may need some time and meds to heal.
Roxanne
Hi. I have an appointment Friday morning at 10:30am. Taking the day off from work to take both her and Chester for ears and nails. I was wondering the same thing which is why I made the appointment. It's 45 minutes away and they do not have evening hours, so I end up taking a day off, because it's just me...no help from the peanut gallery.
ReplyDelete