A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
Good work. I am making a few changes. From here forward, cease doing the mantra "Collar high n snug, fold back, thumglv on ear," outloud. You can whisper to yourself, but the only word Sofie should now be hearing is "Fetch". Why? Because you now have the mantra memorized and your mechanics are clean and consistent. You don't need to speak it out loud anymore.
Distractions. Recommend you do a tunnel, at eye level, of both planted distractions as well as having someone be in front of Sofie and the moment you present and command "Fetch" that someone whips out, under her nose, a now open container for something yummy. Peanut butter, cheese, fresh meat, etc. She needs to have to focus on follow through despite HEAVY and CLOSE IN HER FACE new distractions. Yes, she will need EC. Make them count.
Did you know a service or therapy dog has to be trained to ignore ANY food offered or on the ground? Also they have to be trained that anything on the ground is 'poison ' like spilled medications or gum spat out or etc., it is 'poison '. Sofie needs to learn to work despite tempting distractions literally right under her nose.
Happy Thanksgiving which provides GREAT and NEW and FASCINATING training opportunities. Really.
Hi. Sorry I just saw this after I did tonight's training. I'll upload the video. Tomorrow, we will make the changes. I've been up since 4:15 and traveled 4 hours!! I'm beat!! Your suggestions make sense! I'll whisper and get Sean to bring out her Farmers' Dog food in an open container under her nose. Yes, I know about the service dogs needing to ignore food on the ground. We have had to train all 3 service dogs like that. Before Covid, we would take them to the mall and various places and plant food on the floor and walk them by it and tell them to "leave it" if they tried to go for it. I'll have to think about the tunnel of distractions for tomorrow. We are having our Thanksgiving meal with our family of 5 tomorrow night before Megan leaves again back to college Sunday. But, I will make time for this as I know it is important and I want Sofie to succeed!
ReplyDeleteSorry uploaded two of the same videos. Still one more to upload. Have to take my stuffing out of the oven first. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteGood work. I am making a few changes. From here forward, cease doing the mantra "Collar high n snug, fold back, thumglv on ear," outloud. You can whisper to yourself, but the only word Sofie should now be hearing is "Fetch". Why? Because you now have the mantra memorized and your mechanics are clean and consistent. You don't need to speak it out loud anymore.
Distractions. Recommend you do a tunnel, at eye level, of both planted distractions as well as having someone be in front of Sofie and the moment you present and command "Fetch" that someone whips out, under her nose, a now open container for something yummy. Peanut butter, cheese, fresh meat, etc. She needs to have to focus on follow through despite HEAVY and CLOSE IN HER FACE new distractions. Yes, she will need EC. Make them count.
Did you know a service or therapy dog has to be trained to ignore ANY food offered or on the ground? Also they have to be trained that anything on the ground is 'poison ' like spilled medications or gum spat out or etc., it is 'poison '. Sofie needs to learn to work despite tempting distractions literally right under her nose.
Happy Thanksgiving which provides GREAT and NEW and FASCINATING training opportunities. Really.
-:)
Hi. Sorry I just saw this after I did tonight's training. I'll upload the video. Tomorrow, we will make the changes. I've been up since 4:15 and traveled 4 hours!! I'm beat!! Your suggestions make sense! I'll whisper and get Sean to bring out her Farmers' Dog food in an open container under her nose. Yes, I know about the service dogs needing to ignore food on the ground. We have had to train all 3 service dogs like that. Before Covid, we would take them to the mall and various places and plant food on the floor and walk them by it and tell them to "leave it" if they tried to go for it. I'll have to think about the tunnel of distractions for tomorrow. We are having our Thanksgiving meal with our family of 5 tomorrow night before Megan leaves again back to college Sunday. But, I will make time for this as I know it is important and I want Sofie to succeed!
ReplyDelete