FOUNDATION Course Outline

Equipment needed for FOUNDATION Course

Monday, October 25, 2021

Sunday 10/24/21, increase recall with light line, calling it quits, Sofie not ready for the pant leg


 

3 comments:

  1. ROXANNE, I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THAT I SHOULD FILM FROM THIS ANGLE SO YOU CAN SEE SOFIE BETTER AND NOT HAVE TO LOOK AT MY UGLY BUTT THE ENTIRE TIME. I'M GOING TO ORDER THE STEP STOOL AND ANOTHER TRIPOD, THE ONE I HAVE IS TOO SMALL.
    HOPE ALL IS WELL OUT IN UTAH! I SEE YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY REMODELING YOUR HOUSE! HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!
    HUGS,
    NANCY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better angle. But on the Recall, she should be straight in front of you and you had moved to the side of the Front Place Board?

    AND WHY DID SHE BREAK HER SIT/STAY? Because you bend over and your continual 'bowing' on the Recall has taught her to believe the Recall INCLUDES YOUR SLIGHT bow. Stand up tall and straight, do not MOVE, call and tug the dog in.

    Now you know why the Recall is taught without extra body mechanics, on voice command only. If we add in extra movements, however slight your bow is, the dog comes to believe the command + the extra movement = obey. So, we teach the Recall with zero, zip, nadda, zilch - NO extra movement so the dog learns to come when called on voice command only. What happens when a dog can't see us, perhaps they are behind a building or in a valley (like on a hike) or etc., and you MUST call them to get them to you for safety? What happens then if the Recall has been taught with an extra movement. To the dog, if they can't SEE the movement (which they've been trained to believe is part of the Recall), then the Recall command is null and void. That is why we train the dog to come when called on voice command only - because someday the dog won't be able to see us and they need to believe that "FIDO, COME!" means now and they are to find us by following the voice.

    Important distinction and can and will save a dog's life.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is so well explained. Yes, can save a life. I heard about your experience with your broken foot and one of the other dogs you were training. Makes so much sense. Thanks! I'm so glad I sent you all of these videos because this is the way I have to learn.
    N

    ReplyDelete