FOUNDATION Course Outline

Equipment needed for FOUNDATION Course

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Roxanne uses TC as refresher for Kimber (yellow field Lab) and 1st time TC with Sarah (black Lab)

 

Roxanne and Kimber  

 Roxanne and Sarah

4 comments:

  1. TC demo's with Roxanne/Kimber and Roxanne/Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see. Very quick! I notice you didn't re-position the dog in a straight sit in front of you after the recall. Should I be doing that? Also, we were concerned that Sofie wasn't herself these last couple of days, thought maybe her tummy was still upset, as stools are not 100% back to normal, but she seemed very tired and lethargic, I was going to make an appointment for the vet, BUT SOFIE GOT HER PERIOD, OR WENT INTO HEAT TONIGHT!!! I CALLED DEB TO LET HER KNOW AND SHE TOLD ME ABOUT SHEETS, ETC., BE CAREFUL NOT TO LEAVE HER UNATTENDED, ETC., WE TRIED THESE SPECIAL DIAPERS FOR DOGS, BUT IT WAS A DISASTER, SHE TORE IT OFF RIGHT AWAY, SO WE TRIED PULL UPS FOR TODDLERS BUT AGAIN SHE TORE IT RIGHT OFF AND TRIED EATING IT. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I NEED TO KNOW OR DO FOR SOFIE? I AM A BIT NERVOUS ABOUT IT AS WE HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE AND DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE! THANKS ROXANNE FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FOR SOFIE AND ME!!!!!!!!!!! AND DEB SAID SHE WAS HAPPY TO SEE THE TRAINING VIDEOS. HOPE I WAS OK IN THEM. IT REALLY WAS GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was teaching at the same time trying to demo TC. Yes, you should do SSIF on the Recall, then Finish, then EF, then your release word "Ok". Then, start over again with leash in left hand in Cool Down position, TC in right hand by right ear and just be ready.

    So track the first day Sofie has blood. I keep sheets, blankets, for this purpose and restrict where Redd can go in the house when she's in heat. Be prepared to kennel her much more. Her heat cycle can last up to 28 days total. She will bleed and swell first, THEN the bleeding stops and that is when she is BREEDABLE. In this stage, keep her kenneled or under your 100% control at ALL TIMES.

    Chester will change in his attention to her, you will see it and notice it. She will need to pee constantly and where ever she pees, she's advertising 'Hey boys, I AM IN HEAT-:)'.

    When is she done? When Chester ignores her and the sexual play ceases, when her vulva reduces to normal size, and she is no longer attracting attention from other dogs. THEN, thoroughly wash everywhere she has been and this is where a steamer can be used inside the house, on everything, which will eliminate her heat smell. Bathe her completely, then bathe her again as she will stink.

    Make sense?

    PS: And how weird as this comment never showed up in my email? Or if it did, I inadvertently deleted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries! Thanks for all the great advice on Sofie and her heat! What was the name of that steamer again? Mike says we have one in the "black hole" he calls our basement. But, I'm not rummaging around looking for it, am too busy with Megan and her college applications, so I'll just get that steamer you and Deb recommend. So far, Sofie has just had a few days of spotting, so maybe she isn't in full heat yet? I MUST tell everyone in the house that she is not to be left in the yard unattended not even for a moment, lest a male dog jump the fence ...interesting about her pee advertising...I was able to walk her today and did some heeling and turns. Tomorrow, we will practice TC's. She had an accident this afternoon, she was so excited to see our friend from Connecticut, who we hadn't seen in a while. While he was on our trampoline, Sofie jumped in with him, and somehow he chased her out of the net but then she was running around the edge and fell right off the thing landing on a big tree stump bouncing to the ground. She seems OK now but I'm sure her ribs are sore. Poor baby!!! She has been so loving toward me, lots of kisses!!! Take care,
    Hope you are having a good time with your sister.
    One sister of mine lives one hour away in Ridgefield, CT, the other an hour and a half in Strattford, CT, but I rarely see them as we are all so busy with our lives, but sadly, they were never comfortable with my Kaitlin. I talk to them on the phone though. So, see this opportunity with your sister as a gift and enjoy!
    N

    ReplyDelete