A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
We ran out of day light today, was in the mid 90's here and terribly humid, had to wait till later in day to practice due to the unbearable heat. I had Sofie in her kiddie pool this afternoon which she absolutely loved, the cool water felt delightful. Chester on the other hand, does NOT like the water! What kind of Lab is he? Sorry that some of the video didn't come out due to the darkness. N
Great work on the 3 step Halt to AS. Good KISS and Sit Correction.
Pointers:
1) When facing the dark part of the street, why not simply say "Heel" take a step and do the RATT? That trains you and Sophie together. What you are doing will not get either of you better so do the RATT, then the Halt to AS. If she doesn't do AS within 1 second of you commanding, "Sit" at the point of the Kiss hand signal, do the Sit Correction. 2) Close that right foot next to the left planted foot once you do the KISS. Sophie needs to 'read your feet' and that right foot left behind isn't the clean visual picture (dogs learn life in pictures) so closing faster will help her get the correct picture that "Kiss + your two feet together = Put butt on ground NOW so she can beat the Sit Correction."
3) Review the videos I uploaded from Sunday on how to keep your feet planted and reposition a dog that is out of position.
BTW...there is enough light for me to see you and Sophie so this is a good training area.
Glad about the light. Not sure why I didn't also do the turns, I think it's because I was so focused on the halt/sits and my brain can only process one thing at a time. I will do as you suggested tonight. But, it's still in the mid90's here, absolutely horrible, and we only put on AC at night. Ugh! BTW, I realized about my right foot by the end of the night. Nancy
We ran out of day light today, was in the mid 90's here and terribly humid, had to wait till later in day to practice due to the unbearable heat. I had Sofie in her kiddie pool this afternoon which she absolutely loved, the cool water felt delightful. Chester on the other hand, does NOT like the water! What kind of Lab is he?
ReplyDeleteSorry that some of the video didn't come out due to the darkness.
N
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteGreat work on the 3 step Halt to AS. Good KISS and Sit Correction.
Pointers:
1) When facing the dark part of the street, why not simply say "Heel" take a step and do the RATT? That trains you and Sophie together. What you are doing will not get either of you better so do the RATT, then the Halt to AS. If she doesn't do AS within 1 second of you commanding, "Sit" at the point of the Kiss hand signal, do the Sit Correction.
2) Close that right foot next to the left planted foot once you do the KISS. Sophie needs to 'read your feet' and that right foot left behind isn't the clean visual picture (dogs learn life in pictures) so closing faster will help her get the correct picture that "Kiss + your two feet together = Put butt on ground NOW so she can beat the Sit Correction."
3) Review the videos I uploaded from Sunday on how to keep your feet planted and reposition a dog that is out of position.
BTW...there is enough light for me to see you and Sophie so this is a good training area.
Roxanne
Glad about the light. Not sure why I didn't also do the turns, I think it's because I was so focused on the halt/sits and my brain can only process one thing at a time. I will do as you suggested tonight. But, it's still in the mid90's here, absolutely horrible, and we only put on AC at night. Ugh! BTW, I realized about my right foot by the end of the night.
ReplyDeleteNancy