A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
Hi again. We practiced the test on my back porch. I didn't realize how tired she was. Perhaps that was part of the problem? She is doing the work but is lagging and not happy about it. I will try to do some faster heeling, and I did watch your video again to remind myself to do the left turn and gently kick my left knee into her when her sits flare, a bit difficult on the small porch but I'll remember next time. How can I improve her heeling? I have gone back to longe line and she does great in the back of the school on the longe line, on the line back and forth, and in the field and in the parking lot, but it's too open there for this heeling test. OK, thanks for your feedback. Hope you had a great weekend!!!! N
Change your tone and pitch. Put the baby gate, propped up next to the built in bench, and prop it up to visually block the entrance to the back steps.
Fix for her NOT moving when you command, "SOFIE HEEL!" in that tough, harsh voice (I wouldn't want to heel either-:), is to gently reach down, grab the tab and drag her to the Heel position. Do this ONLY once or twice as to many times and she will know that you don't have control. This is only an immediate fix and done to many times, she'll start backing away. The other fix is to simply stop, hook her onto the leash, and do those FAST starts until she is moving automatically with you. And her AS's are quite lovely, Nancy. Lovely!
Don't work her when she's tired. Think 'more teamwork and cooperation' and less 'force'. It's a balancing act especially with a soft dog and a soft dog that is tired? That's a recipe for a disaster when trying to take an EXAM. Listen, really, you are almost ready for this EXAM. Breathe and work more on teamwork, ok?
And please? SMILE when you give her a command. Honestly, I feel like you're yelling at your children who've failed to do what you told them to do. Put a SMILE in your commands.
Yes, I feel like that too! My kids are not reacting well to Mom not doing everything for them anymore. Huge backlash. Trying to teach them some respect for me and each other. OK. Tonight, I will just work on teamwork. We will do longe line in yard and I'll keep it light and fun. Then I will run Sean and his friend to Boy Scouts. I love the idea of hooking her onto the leash again and doing the fast starts!! I don't think I should work her too much when I'm tired and grouchy, which is every week that I have to be in the office. Thank goodness the next two weeks I'm working from home!! Yay! I feel I can breathe again. I really don't like being the managing attorney in the office every third week, but it's part of the job and I need the paycheck. Truly, at this point in my life, I work for my paycheck to pay bills. Once upon a time I did have a truly exciting and fun career, even if it was a lot of work. My depression over work shouldn't interfere with Sofie and our training. Thanks for helping me put it into perspective. I'm trying to put my smile back in everything!! By the way, Sean and I are very excited to see Stephanie in White Marsh, MD Saturday 10/9 and hopefully Sunday, 10/10 too. I think I told you Megan wants to look at Johns Hopkins University for engineering so we will kill two birds with one stone, and stay over in a hotel Saturday night. Paying extra for Sofie! Hugs, Nancy
Hi again. We practiced the test on my back porch. I didn't realize how tired she was. Perhaps that was part of the problem? She is doing the work but is lagging and not happy about it. I will try to do some faster heeling, and I did watch your video again to remind myself to do the left turn and gently kick my left knee into her when her sits flare, a bit difficult on the small porch but I'll remember next time. How can I improve her heeling? I have gone back to longe line and she does great in the back of the school on the longe line, on the line back and forth, and in the field and in the parking lot, but it's too open there for this heeling test. OK, thanks for your feedback. Hope you had a great weekend!!!!
ReplyDeleteN
Pointers:
ReplyDeleteChange your tone and pitch. Put the baby gate, propped up next to the built in bench, and prop it up to visually block the entrance to the back steps.
Fix for her NOT moving when you command, "SOFIE HEEL!" in that tough, harsh voice (I wouldn't want to heel either-:), is to gently reach down, grab the tab and drag her to the Heel position. Do this ONLY once or twice as to many times and she will know that you don't have control. This is only an immediate fix and done to many times, she'll start backing away. The other fix is to simply stop, hook her onto the leash, and do those FAST starts until she is moving automatically with you. And her AS's are quite lovely, Nancy. Lovely!
Don't work her when she's tired. Think 'more teamwork and cooperation' and less 'force'. It's a balancing act especially with a soft dog and a soft dog that is tired? That's a recipe for a disaster when trying to take an EXAM. Listen, really, you are almost ready for this EXAM. Breathe and work more on teamwork, ok?
And please? SMILE when you give her a command. Honestly, I feel like you're yelling at your children who've failed to do what you told them to do. Put a SMILE in your commands.
ok?
Roxanne
Yes, I feel like that too! My kids are not reacting well to Mom not doing everything for them anymore. Huge backlash. Trying to teach them some respect for me and each other. OK. Tonight, I will just work on teamwork. We will do longe line in yard and I'll keep it light and fun. Then I will run Sean and his friend to Boy Scouts. I love the idea of hooking her onto the leash again and doing the fast starts!! I don't think I should work her too much when I'm tired and grouchy, which is every week that I have to be in the office. Thank goodness the next two weeks I'm working from home!! Yay! I feel I can breathe again. I really don't like being the managing attorney in the office every third week, but it's part of the job and I need the paycheck. Truly, at this point in my life, I work for my paycheck to pay bills. Once upon a time I did have a truly exciting and fun career, even if it was a lot of work. My depression over work shouldn't interfere with Sofie and our training. Thanks for helping me put it into perspective. I'm trying to put my smile back in everything!! By the way, Sean and I are very excited to see Stephanie in White Marsh, MD Saturday 10/9 and hopefully Sunday, 10/10 too. I think I told you Megan wants to look at Johns Hopkins University for engineering so we will kill two birds with one stone, and stay over in a hotel Saturday night. Paying extra for Sofie!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Nancy