FOUNDATION Course Outline

Equipment needed for FOUNDATION Course

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Walk away stay 11/17/21


 

3 comments:

  1. Well, not so good, I'm afraid. I know I was supposed to do this in low distractions, and I thought lunch time at the tennis court when the kids were in school would be OK, but obviously not, as there were kids that came to the tennis court next door and kids through the woods making all sorts of noise. Ugh! But, we did what we could. I really thought she would have done better, but please tell me how to improve, because maybe I was making it worse for her?
    Thanks!!
    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that is not 100 yards-:) 100 yards is the length of a football field. One of the issues is that Sofie is not comfortable on the blue Front Place Board, she should be left on a Down on the two k-9 boards connected together.

    Another thing to remember is that a 100 yard Walk Away Stay is achieved by varying the distance away from the dog, doing a Step Back to the Dog, then leaving on the right foot again, then doing a Return to the Dog and possibly doing the EF - or stepping off on the right foot again. The point is you are proofing the dogs Stay by NOT doing the same pattern over and over and over again, you MUST vary the pattern so the dog learns to maintain the Stay command until a new command supersedes it. Does that make sense?

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I knew I should use the 2 k-9 boards but I could carry them with Sofie by myself. And, finding a 100 yards will be tricky as I am not allowed to bring her onto the football field. I couldn't even try to do so as it is ALWAYS packed no matter the time of day. It is used for track and field which circles it. Maybe the big field behind the school but not sure what to back tie her on. Maybe a bench? OK, well I have an hour to spend now and maybe I will try to find a quiet road. So the step back to the dog is by the side and the return is around it, correct? Got it, vary the pattern of stays and aways.
    Thanks!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete