A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin.
I realized watching the video on the blog that I should have started at a much shorter distance and should not have turned my back and walked backwards on the prior video. Now I know to increase the distance in increments. I was just glad I could sneak away for a lunch break with Sofie. Sadly, the dog we named Sofie after, my friend's mom's golden retriever, Sophie, has bone cancer. Ugh!! Pray for her. Nancy
Sorry, but I have a couple of questions about the relaxation walk. I just read about it on the blog. Is my light line 40 feet? You mention that it should be 40 feet. Also, you had said during our zoom lesson that if Sofie strays from me then I should step on the longe line and use the TC's if necessary, then do recall. But, what do you exactly mean by "stray?" Obviously, if she bolts I need to correct her, but how wide can she go before she is "straying" from me and I need to correct? I scouted that road I thought might work about 15/20 minutes north of me but I'm not sure. It is not that long, and parallels a a very main highway road. I will drive south tomorrow to scout some other possibilities. Ugh! The other idea I had was to go in the back of the local school here where there is a loop to walk, but go as soon as the sun comes up. Maybe it will be too early for the other folks to show up????? Have a good night. Hugs, Nancy
I'd go to the school VERY early and see how it goes. You use the TC and Recall ONLY if she bolts from you. The point of the Relaxation Walk is to see if she chooses to be with you as you move or chooses to move away from you as you move.
Hi. Not sure if you saw my text yesterday, but Sofie did pretty well with the relaxation walk. Was only able to do about 20 minutes thus far, by the time I found a road (that by the way was busier than expected) in the town south from me, it was getting late and I had to come home for work again. What do I do if she goes wide, like a few feet? I did a halt, AS. Was afraid of her getting too far away, but all in all I was quite pleased. She turned with me nicely. Hope you have a nice weekend. I have to see about getting to a big field to do the 100 yard walk away stay. I will try to bring one of the kids with me so they can help carry the 2 k-9's for her down/stay and then film behind her. I will vary it like you said. Might be better to go to the field later in the day, maybe before the sun goes down. This community is so crowded, especially since Covid--so many people from NYC came up here!!! I told Mike tonight that we need to move to Utah where the dogs can run free! He thought I lost my mind! Enjoy your night. Nancy
I realized watching the video on the blog that I should have started at a much shorter distance and should not have turned my back and walked backwards on the prior video. Now I know to increase the distance in increments. I was just glad I could sneak away for a lunch break with Sofie. Sadly, the dog we named Sofie after, my friend's mom's golden retriever, Sophie, has bone cancer. Ugh!! Pray for her.
ReplyDeleteNancy
Sorry, but I have a couple of questions about the relaxation walk. I just read about it on the blog. Is my light line 40 feet? You mention that it should be 40 feet. Also, you had said during our zoom lesson that if Sofie strays from me then I should step on the longe line and use the TC's if necessary, then do recall. But, what do you exactly mean by "stray?" Obviously, if she bolts I need to correct her, but how wide can she go before she is "straying" from me and I need to correct? I scouted that road I thought might work about 15/20 minutes north of me but I'm not sure. It is not that long, and parallels a a very main highway road. I will drive south tomorrow to scout some other possibilities. Ugh! The other idea I had was to go in the back of the local school here where there is a loop to walk, but go as soon as the sun comes up. Maybe it will be too early for the other folks to show up?????
ReplyDeleteHave a good night.
Hugs,
Nancy
I'd go to the school VERY early and see how it goes. You use the TC and Recall ONLY if she bolts from you. The point of the Relaxation Walk is to see if she chooses to be with you as you move or chooses to move away from you as you move.
ReplyDeleteRoxanne
OK. Let's try the walk now. Must find a quiet road.
ReplyDeleteNancy
Hi. Not sure if you saw my text yesterday, but Sofie did pretty well with the relaxation walk. Was only able to do about 20 minutes thus far, by the time I found a road (that by the way was busier than expected) in the town south from me, it was getting late and I had to come home for work again. What do I do if she goes wide, like a few feet? I did a halt, AS. Was afraid of her getting too far away, but all in all I was quite pleased. She turned with me nicely.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a nice weekend. I have to see about getting to a big field to do the 100 yard walk away stay. I will try to bring one of the kids with me so they can help carry the 2 k-9's for her down/stay and then film behind her. I will vary it like you said. Might be better to go to the field later in the day, maybe before the sun goes down. This community is so crowded, especially since Covid--so many people from NYC came up here!!! I told Mike tonight that we need to move to Utah where the dogs can run free! He thought I lost my mind!
Enjoy your night.
Nancy