FOUNDATION Course Outline

Equipment needed for FOUNDATION Course

Saturday, November 6, 2021

test Readiness Week 7 tennis court 11/6/21, practice


 

6 comments:

  1. We practiced week 7 test. I didn't realize how wide she was, so I have to remember to go diagonally to reset her. I'm a little confused on the off leash; the written instructions say to start with the leash ON, and do the sit/stay and the down/stay, with leash on, then throw it on the ground before doing the Recall and finish 20feet with leash off, BUT the video of Boaz showed you taking the leash off in the beginning and doing the sit/stays and the down/stays with the leash off. Did you change the test, or am I just not understanding it correctly?
    Thanks so much!! Want to see your feedback first before I try again tomorrow. Also, I can start quickly on the heel to get her going and not lag, and go diagonal, but what about the TC's?
    Have a great night. Don't forget to set your clock back tonight!
    Hugs,
    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leash on or off the dog is totally dependent on that specific dog's ability to maintain their Stays. Boaz was far ahead of a new student's dog, because of me, and because he trained often with my Pack and as a Demo Dog for obedience classes. For a new student, with their first dog, leave the leash ON for the Stays. For an Advanced Handler, with a well trained dog (their 2nd or 3rd dog Koehler trained) they can take the leash off.

    When she is wide, especially on the RAT, you need to work her tighter into the corner so her visual perception is that if she DOESN'T TURN and quickly, she will get her face INTO the fence. When she is wide with just the light line dragging, you do the Left About Turn, TC in left hand and lop it onto her rear as you command, "Heel". Do that once or twice and she'll think twice about being so wide.

    Great job 'helping Sofie succeed' here in this video. You are doing great, film the EXAM. You are ready.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Thanks for always being so quick to get back to me with your comments and guidance. I find that later in the day, almost before the sun goes down, is the best time for me to take Sofie to the tennis court since it's less likely that folks will be there. Apparently, it is a popular spot in town. So, we will try in a while. I really wish I could become a good handler. I love it so! I was sad this morning when I had to leave Sofie behind for my river walk. Roxanne, I really do appreciate all the time you spend helping and encouraging me, especially when you are so busy and such an expert; you probably cringe when you see my silly mistakes. Enjoy your Sunday. It's chilly here but beautiful in the sun. I walked for 2 hours this morning with my friend and Chester, came home and played in the yard with Sofie (can't have Chester in the yard with Sofie now, she is done bleeding, but you said this is when she is fertile, and Chester's play is so rough, he bats at her and tries to ...), made myself a late breakfast, helped Megan with her college application to Tufts University outside of Boston, fed dogs, and now am going to get Kaitlin dressed. Need someone to watch Kaitlin so I can work with Sofie later. OK. Fingers crossed!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    You are doing WAY better than you think. I LOVE your dedication to learning, your open heart and humble spirit that doesn't excuse what is happening, but instead you ask, "What am I doing wrong?" Girl, you are so much better than you think you are and making incredible progress. Not only with the training, but within yourself.

    Joy, joy is coming as soon enough you will be able to take her through the Tech Savvy (ecollar) training so you CAN go let her run in the woods with you.

    Stay Strong and Carry On.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read this after I posted my test #7. Thanks so much for your incredible teaching, guidance, encouragement, and friendship. I am dedicated to learning because I have you by my side every step of the way, which is what I need at his point in my life. I really mean that. I don't think I could manage it without you and your belief in me. Stephanie and I had an honest conversation down in Maryland the day before we met up with Jim, Jeanne, and Sadie. She explained her frustration with them making lots of "excuses." I felt badly for her. She's such a good teacher but you could see her frustration with them the second day. I pray for them to have an open mind to receive her instruction for everyone's sake, especially Sadie's.
    Enjoy the rest of your evening! I'm off to spell with Kaitlin. Say a prayer for my niece. She's an opera singer studying at Harvard and was just put on alert; there have been 4 bomb scares at 4 of the Ivy's so the kids are evacuating. Crazy times!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete